Sample Class-part 03: Journal--Jameson

Jameson's Story

Jameson's Story

by Connie Perkins -
Number of replies: 1

Chris and faculty peers-I wasn't sure if we were actually supposed to post, but in the spirit of completing "homework" and abiding by the nursing rule "if it's not documented, it didn't happen" here are my thoughts about Jameson's story.

I was touched as a nurse and mother knowing that this story exists as another way to get the word out that bullying-in any form- is not acceptable. In our world today, we spend so much time behind the screen (especially now) that it is easy to take on a whole new personality that is otherwise out of our character. As was pointed out- we'd never say such hateful things to this child's face, why do we do it online? We see so many suicide cases based on bullying and now with things like FOMO (Fear of Missing Out) playing a part, social media seems to be the one holding the gun. I hope that by reviewing cases like these we don't aid in this behavior by "liking" or "sharing" or "retweeting" regardless if we chuckled when we saw it. This was a good reminder that we should all be kind because the photo had to come from somewhere and with just a click we could be doing a lifetime of damage. 

In reply to Connie Perkins

Re: Jameson's Story

by Christopher Mackowski -

Thanks, Connie. That difference between our real-world and our on-line personas is important, and often we don't even give it deliberate thought. Hopefully this lesson serves as a reminder that we need to do that kind of gut check on a regular basis, else we risk losing something basic about our humanity, I think.

For communicators, though, that "on-line persona" exists in our professional lives every day. We write something, we send it out into the world, and we might not ever see someone read/watch/listen to our words. There's a built-in disconnect that we need to be aware of so that we can work to stay in touch in other ways. (You've no doubt heard of the criticism that the media is "out of touch.")

At this point in a journal, after commenting on the content, I would then comment on the student's mechanics with a specific writing tip or two to concentrate on. I'll spare everyone here!