Sample Class-part 03: Journal--Jameson

Zero attention for videos and SBU 102

Zero attention for videos and SBU 102

by Robin Valeri -
Number of replies: 2

Hi Chris and Classmates,

So I was able to watch your two minute video, just barely.  Your intro video, way too long for me. LOL  But I have found this to be true for any online class.  I start to watch a video with every intention of watching the entire video, but with in 30 seconds I am considering getting a glass of water, making a cup of tea, starting my laundry, etc.  Face it, home made videos just don't compare to commercially produced movies so, by comparison are boring.  

On the other hand I had no problem reading through all of the written material and links you posted. I could attend to it all.

This is a great story.  Thank you for sharing it.  I think I'll use it this fall when I teach SBU 102.

In reply to Robin Valeri

Re: Zero attention for videos and SBU 102

by Christopher Mackowski -

I can't lay my hands on it now, but there's some research that suggests a ten-minute max for videos. I think that's way too long. As you pointed out, two minutes was too long for you (and we're of the Sesame Street generation, with 3.5-minute attentions spans; MTV subsequently made that shorter, and it's only gotten shorter since then).

That said, our primary audience is trained to watch "homemade" videos by YouTube, Facebook, and the proliferation of online video content. They're even used to lower production qualities, which are okay for this context. If we were doing something more formal, a video with higher production quality would be important.

At this point, were this a student journal, after commenting on the content of their comments, I would offer a specific writing tip or two for them to concentrate on. That allows me to comment on content AND mechanics.

In reply to Robin Valeri

Re: Zero attention for videos and SBU 102

by Christine Uhl -

I enjoyed the 2 minute video.  The other one still hasn't downloaded for me to watch. :-(

I guess one of the things to consider is giving an expectation to students on how long the work will take (so they don't start only 1 hour before class, like I did).

-C